Job Postings #2017-282, #2017-283, #2017-284, #2017-285 – RN Vacancies
Deadline to apply: 4 p.m., Friday, December 15, 2017
We seek applicants interested in building their career with a focus on sub-acute for seniors in the new Sub-Acute for the Frail Elderly (SAFE) Unit. This innovative unit requires staff with strong leadership skills and an interest in a short-stay, sub-acute care, where medical and restorative care will focus on optimizing vitality for frail seniors.
As part of The Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre you will be contributing to fulfill our mission which is to achieve excellence in the health, safety and well-being of seniors and Veterans with a focus on innovation in person centred and frailty-informed care and service.
The SAFE Unit is a new and innovate model of clinical integration designed to improve the care of frail elderly patients who are at risk of deconditioning associated with prolonged hospitalization. The unit will provide short-stay sub-acute medical and restorative care focused on optimizing vitality for frail elderly patients who anticipate returning home, or to retirement home.
Some of the key distinguishing features of the SAFE Unit include:
- A focus on the frail elderly, with a discharge destination of home/retirement home;
- Expected length of stay of 30 days, facilitating increased patient flow;
- Appropriate care supports to manage medically complex patients;
- An intense restorative and integrated care delivery model.
- 7 day/week admissions
The role of the Registered Nurse (RN) at The Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre is to provide high quality, resident-centred nursing care that respects individual needs and through all aspects of care, strives to enhance quality of life of our residents.
The RN on the SAFE Unit will provide high quality restorative care to a medically complex and frail elderly population, with a focus on restoring function, activation and strength through active care before returning home. Regular adjustment of the care plan will be needed to optimize the patient’s medical status; intensive and comprehensive collaboration with acute care units will be required to support optimal transitions of patients from acute care to the SAFE Unit.
- Undergraduate degree (4 years) in nursing or community college diploma in nursing
- Valid certificate of registration from the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO)
- Valid Basic Life Support (BLS) cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) Level A certificate
- Fluent in English (written, spoken and comprehension)
- Trained in PIECES™
- Experience working with a sub-acute/medically less stable population
- Experience working with a frail elderly population
- Knowledge of various geriatric assessment instruments
- GPA certified
- Fluent in more than one language
Position Key Competencies
- Excellent patient assessment, critical thinking, communication and problem-solving skills
- Knowledge of acute care processes and an understanding of the mechanisms that contribute to patient flow (e.g. Home First philosophy)
- Ability to work under pressure and to adapt to change
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with members of the interdisciplinary team
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills
- Ability and willingness to teach and mentor
- Clinical competencies related to the sub-acute patient population
For Criteria for Patient Admission to SAFE Unit and Rotations: 4 week rotations (view pdf)
All serious candidates are encouraged to apply:
Human Resources Services
The Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre
1750 Russell Road
We thank all candidates for applying; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.