“At the Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre, our roots in caring for the unique cultural and clinical needs of Veterans reach back more than 70 years. I am proud that our expert staff and team of committed volunteers will continue to care for Canadian and Allied Veterans in our safe and enriching home. We applaud our partners from Veterans Affairs Canada, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and Champlain LHIN for continuing to support the programs and services that benefit Veterans from the Ottawa region and beyond.”
Akos Hoffer, CEO, The Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre.
- The Perley and Rideau Veterans Health Centre was created from the merger of The Perley Hospital, the Rideau Veterans Home and the National Defence Medical Centre. Part of a growing Seniors Village, today Perley Rideau is a 450 bed long-term care facility, including 200 beds for seniors for the community along with 250 beds for Veterans of the Second World War and the Korean War.
- In 1992, the Rideau Veterans Home was transferred from Veterans Affairs Canada to the province of Ontario. Since that time the Perley Rideau, along with the federal and provincial governments have worked together to support Veterans.
- In 2016, Veterans Affairs Canada contributed almost $9 million to Perley Rideau to support special programming and enhanced services.
- The current funding for long-term care for Veterans of the Second World War and the Korean War pays for enhanced care, including the expertise of the Psychogeriatric Resource Nurse, as well as dental care and other higher-than-standard services and programs. One such program is the highly prized Recreation and Creative Arts program that receives more than $1 million per year.
- Perley Rideau’s enduring commitment to all former members of the Canadian Armed Forces is evident in its policy that provides priority access to the two independent living seniors’ apartment buildings within the Seniors Village.
Read the March 27, 2017 media release from Veterans Affairs Canada announcing the creation of the special 25-bed unit for Veterans: Click here.
PLEASE NOTE: The Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre welcomes all enquiries and provides tours to applicants and families but the Health Centre does not determine eligibility to long-term care for Veterans or members of the community.
To find out more about eligibility, please contact Community Care Access Centre.
Community Care Access Centre
All long-term care homes in Ontario, including The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre, coordinate admissions through their local Community Care Access Centre. Like its sister organizations, the Ottawa Community Care Access Centre provides in-home health and support services, and coordinates the placement of clients into long-term care homes.
Once you have decided to go forward with your application, the Community Care Access Centre will assign you a Case Manager to guide you in gathering the medical and personal information required for admission. Your Case Manager may offer help, if you need it, in choosing a home.
- Visit: www.healthcareathome.ca (follow Champlain LHIN)
- Call: 1-613-745-5525
- Toll Free: 1-800-538-0520
Veterans Affairs Canada
Within Perley Rideau, 250 beds are designated for as Veterans and Veterans Affairs Canada helps determine the eligibility of each Veteran for admission. There is a Veterans Affairs Office located on the first floor of the Health Centre. If a representative is not in the office at the time of your visit, please call 613-998-1226 to arrange an appointment.
Please contact Veterans Affairs Canada for further information on the admission process in long-term care.
- 1-866-522-2122 (English) or
- 1-866-522-2022 (Francais)
Rates (as of July 1, 2016)
Within The Perley and Rideau Veterans' Health Centre, 250 beds are designated as Veteran Priority Access Beds and Veterans Affairs Canada sets the rates for veterans.
Veteran Residents: $998.90 per month
- View a long-term care room.
- Download the Perley Rideau Welcome Book.
- Book a Tour of Perley Rideau: 613-526-7171, ext. 2990
- Download visitor information on accessing the Health Centre
- Download our parking map
- Download a map of the Perley Rideau
An introduction to our Veterans' Recreation and Creative Arts Program
The Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre has one of Canada’s finest recreation and creative-arts programs.
Veterans residing at the Centre participate in a remarkable range of activities—from pottery, painting and woodworking to gardening and group outings. Program activities, delivered by a mix of certified therapists and professional artists with support from volunteers, run from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. every day, including statutory holidays.
All activities are designed to improve the quality of life experienced by the approximately 250 Veterans who reside at the Perley Rideau. The ready access to materials, studios and professional support inspires many to take up new pursuits. The Program is particularly successful at sparking improvements in mood and energy among recent arrivals at the Perley Rideau.