Summary of Position
The Centre of Excellence in Frailty-Informed Care at the Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre seeks to hire its first Research Chair, to develop and establish a dynamic and sustainable research program focused on frailty.
Building on the priorities and vision of the Centre of Excellence, the Research Chair will: identify opportunities for applied research related to frailty; facilitate and conduct innovative and impactful research; leverage partnerships across academic and health sectors; attract highly skilled researchers and students; help establish secure funding; and contribute to knowledge mobilization in order to advance care for the frail elderly.
An established researcher with a solid track record, the successful candidate will work with staff, the Executive Team and Board of Directors to further establish research priorities and develop and execute the overall research agenda of Perley Rideau. He/she will build research capacity within the organization in the care of frail elderly and increase the profile of the Perley Rideau as a Centre of Excellence on a provincial, national and international stage.
The successful candidate will hold a PhD and be actively conducting research in an area related to frailty, aging and care of the elderly. Alternatively, the candidate may be a physician with a strong commitment and track record in research. The ideal candidate will commit a minimum of 60% of their time (e.g. 0.6 FTE) to the position. The initial mandate of the Research Chair will be three years, and will be subject to review at the end of this period.
Responsibilities and Deliverables
As an important member of the leadership team, the Research Chair will contribute to the overall growth and development of the Centre of Excellence. Priorities will include:
- Leading and facilitating actionable research that is innovative and meaningful in the context of the Perley Rideau and its focus on frailty.
- Working with the team to develop a strategic and operational research plan that reflects local priorities with an appreciation of the broader system-level focus.
- Developing an evaluation framework to measure and assess research impact.
- Leading and supporting other team members in knowledge translation activities.
- Supporting and facilitating the implementation of best practices into clinical care.
- Establishing secure funding to support research operations and growth.
- Developing strong academic collaborations to promote research output.
- Engaging with industry and business to develop partnerships that align with research priorities.
- Working closely with the Centre of Excellence staff and Executive Leadership Team to ensure long-term sustainability and overall alignment of research agenda with Centre of Excellence priorities and the strategic plan of the organization.
As time permits, additional priorities may include:
- Providing leadership, mentorship and support to students, staff and researchers.
- Disseminating knowledge through publications in peer-reviewed journals, abstracts, presentations, seminars, workshops, and other networking opportunities.
- Liaising with various government agencies and policy-makers to advance and support research for frail elderly.
- Representing the Perley Rideau at various stakeholder forums as required.
- Highly motivated individual that is committed to advancing the care of frail elderly in long-term care.
- Knowledge of the health care continuum for the elderly population.
- Knowledge of the health care funding landscape in Canada and track record of funding success at the federal level.
- Strong commitment to teaching and knowledge translation activities.
- Committed to interprofessional care and research to advance clinical practice.
- Knowledge and/or interest in conducting research involving technology and/or innovative solutions for an aging population in a long-term care setting.
- Dedicated to improving the care of frail elderly within long-term care and across the health care continuum.
- Willingness and ability to work with and liaise with stakeholders at various levels of the organization, health care system and government to accelerate research output.
- Have a PhD and be actively conducting research within an academic setting; a physician with demonstrated research competencies would also be considered.
- Holds or is eligible to hold an appointment with a recognized academic institution.
- Applied research expertise related to aging, care of the elderly and/or frailty.
- Commitment to applied research and knowledge translation as demonstrated through publication and teaching track record.
- Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
- Candidates who are affiliated with an academic institution are encouraged to apply.
- View the pdf version here
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please submit your CV and cover letter in confidence to: email@example.com. The deadline for applying is September 2, 2019. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for additional screening will be contacted.