The 450 bed Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre is a leading regional resource in long-term, respite and convalescent care, with particular emphasis on providing for the needs of seniors, veterans and people requiring dementia care. We are seeking to recruit STUDENTS on a seasonal and part time basis to work in FOOD AND NUTRITION AIDE positions. Candidates must have a Food Handling Training Program -one day course offered through Ottawa Public Health. A Police Check (vulnerable sector) is also required for this position.
Information for the Food Handler Certificate:
The Food Handler Certification program is an excellent opportunity to learn the safe way to prepare food. Whether you operate a restaurant, take-out, catering, or mobile food premises, or are working directly with high-risk groups such as children and the elderly, this one-day course is designed to meet the needs of your staff and your customers.
This certificate-based course is designed to meet the content requirements of the Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care under the Health Protection and Promotion Act.
Gives participants a strong knowledge of:
- The Role of the Health Unit and Understanding Foodborne Illness
- Understanding Bacteria
- Preventing FoodborneIllness
- Personal Hygiene, Sanitation, Pest control
- Emergency Response
- One Day Course: $55.00 per person (tax included) -Course exam is included
- Exam-only sessions: $16.50 (tax included) -Please check offered dates.
- Re-issuing of a misplaced certificate: $16.00 (tax included)
- Non-Residents Fee: As per City of Ottawa policy, non-residents will be charged an additional 25 % per person
- Withdrawals/Credits: -For withdrawals or a credit on your account visit a City of Ottawa Client Service Centre.Please be advised, course fees are nonrefundable and nontransferable to other participants.
Alert: Candidates that would like to challenge the Food Handler Certification Exam must show proof of completion from one of the criteria listed below, within the last year:
- City of Ottawa: Food Handler Course -Re-challenging the exam
- Food Safety Training -via: high school, college, university education
- TrainCan or Serve Safe
- National Food Safety Training Program
- Register online:You will need to enter the barcode or program code for the date you wish to attend. Have your credit card number and expiry date ready (Visa or MasterCard). You will need your Family PIN number and Client Barcode.If you require both Client Barcodes and Family PIN numbers, please call 613-580-2588, Monday to Friday 7 am to 7 pm (with the exception of statutory holidays) and follow the prompts.
- Touch Tone Telephone: Call 613-580-2588. Please have your credit card number and expiry date ready (Visa or MasterCard). You will need your Family PIN number and Client Barcode. Receipts are available upon request.
- In person: Visit a city of OttawaClient Service Centre. Payments accepted by cash, cheque (made payable to the City of Ottawa), debit or credit card (Visa or MasterCard).
As Ottawa Public Health is sensitive to participants' wide range of learning styles, courses can be adapted to ensure accessibility for all prospective students. Please contact us if you have any questions about the course: 613-580-6744 or email us at email@example.com.
Resumes may be forwarded to:
We thank all candidates for applying; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
For candidates selected for consideration, the Perley Rideau, upon request, willmake reasonable accommodation for any disability-related needs with respect to the recruitment process and materials.